Wednesday, March 16, 2011

And all these things will pass, It's the good ones that will last

Today's Wasted Activities:

1. Realized I read too much celebrity gossip...
...because I saw the headline "Gotcha! Elephant Caught Cheating" and thought it was going to be something akin to Courtney Cox and David Arquette. Really?!? That's my go-to assumption when I see the word "cheating?" That this elephant is promiscuous and someone saw him cheating on his elephant "wife" and that the NPR audience reaaaaaaaaally cares enough to know about it? Really? Imagine my disappointment that it was actually a scientific study about an elephant (female, btw) being smart enough to "cheat" her way into some food. Time to block Jezzie

Please note: That researcher is an Emory grad student. Please support his research (and mine!) by buying a Coke.

2. Figured out how to get those links to open in new windows
Turns out that writing a blog is a good way to start learning about how computers work and how to write code. It's actually kind of fun. (oh god...I can't believe I just wrote that. Next stop...Geek2Geek)

3. Conducted a poll about geek vs. nerd (yes...there is a website for this, altho I didn't read it)
Visiting that geek2geek dating site made me think about the difference between geeks and nerds and if there really is a significant difference between the two. I got some mixed responses (I will preserve the anonymity of my respondents):
a. I don't really think there is one...although geek might have a more negative connotation
b. I think geeks are more into technology, whereas nerds are people who read a lot.
c. Geeks don't have to be smart...(which I suppose means nerds do have to be)
d.... but they're usually into weird shit...like Star Wars
e. I don't know, but we're all here studying Hindi for a year, so we're all clearly nerds.

I generally agree. I am a self-professed and damn proud nerd who also associates geeks with technology, hence my comment while "writing" code (I use quotations because I didn't actually "write" any "code"...I just copied and pasted from a website. It's like that time my undergraduate advisor welcomed us to the "Doing Theology" course by explaining that we would not, under any circumstances, be "doing" any theology...). If you're in a Ph.D. program, you're a nerd. Quit fooling yourself. Embrace it. But I'm wary of the geek label, because in my mind, nerds can be really cool (yes, I know I have a biased opinion), but geeks....well...they just don't know how to dress or do their hair or accessorize properly. They're just too geeky...

I do, however, feel very strongly that women should seek out nerds as life partners. My dad once told me that when I was in high school (and living the angsty "I'm totally rebellious in my dirty Grateful Dead t-shirt and hemp necklaces" teenage dream) that he was convinced that I would end up with some guitar playing, poetry reading, patchouli smelling, freak of a husband with whom he would not be able to have a conversation. I calmly explained to him that he, in his sweater vest and pleated khakis, was a good model for a husband because nerds are dependable (generally speaking...). Nerds pay the bills, they kiss the kids goodnight, they help do the dishes (if asked politely) and they rarely cheat on you, if only because, really, who is going to sleep with them? THEY'RE NERDS!!!!.

So, ladies, if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, Never let a cool man make you his wife, So from my personal point of view, Get a nerdy guy to marry you.

Here's hoping I don't end up with a man whose mother fears a expletive spouting, man-slandering, lame-ass blog writing, nerd of a wife.

4. Got some sort of a response from the NGO where I want to volunteer
I have to complete a final project for my Hindi program, so I’ve decided to volunteer at a local women’s shelter and record some interviews, talk about the organization, etc. I had to hand-write an application to the Convener-Secretary last week….but then never heard from her. I went back today and they dug out my application, explaining that I need a letter from the head of my program granting me permission to volunteer. Thanks for calling to let me know.

Any bets on how long it will take for this project to move into the "not so wasted" category?

Not So Wasted Activities:

Yeah. I got nothin'.

Actually...I have something in the works. Greg and I spent a lot of time learning a new dance tonight (well, new to us) which I will preview when it is perfected. Definitely not a "waste" of time...

Quotes of the Day:

“I would LOOOOOOVE to read the book that YOU would write about this program.” – my teacher, Neelamji, to me.
“I am soooo sexy right now.” – Meghan, while wiping dried chocolate sauce off of her chin.

No comments: