Not particularly interesting, but topics include making fun of my mother, making fun of myself for being like my mother, making fun of myself for my poor reading skills in English, making fun of myself for my poor speaking skills in Hindi, making fun of myself for poor language skills in other languages, making fun of drugs and Greg making fun of himself....
Wasted Activities
1. Read an email from my mom...
...with an excel version of a details for my 6 days following my arrival home. I like to think she's just that excited, but I suspect she's just that bored. Could it be genetic? (this is much funnier if you actually know my mother)
2. Researched for my first meal when I get home
I then sent my mom a response explaining that I want to eat here for my first meal. I tried to eat here for my final meal before I left, but I was told that they "don't do take-out." I briefly contemplated sitting at a table, ordering the pizzas, taking one bite and then asking for a "to-go box," but that seemed like more effort than it was worth. But there are a few things to mention here.
a. I sent my mom that link, knowing she would love that she could click on it and see what I was talking about. Oh god, I am my mother...
b....because I love, love, LOVE researching restaurants in which I will never have the opportunity/money to eat. For example, I will look at all of these menus, tho I am not likely to ever eat any of these burgers. This is especially easily done when watching The Hills or The City (in reruns now, I guess) because they always post the name of the restaurant where they're eating and, let's be honest, if you divert your attention from the show long enough to scour a restaurant website, you're still not going to miss much in the show.
c. If you ever do live abroad for an extended period of time in a non-Western country, do yourself a favor and avoid conversations about foods from home. This is merely a slow form of torture
--after having written part c. above, at lunch today, Tareq mentioned Rice Krispie treats and Christian quickly put an end to that conversation.
3. Realized how tired I am
I read this headline and thought that it said "Abu Graib" and not "Abu Dhabi." You can imagine my shock (although then I actually began to commend them for taking advantage of a capitalist market...).
4. Had a good conversation with Auntie and Uncleji
Who is easier to live with: boys or girls? Uncleji explained that girls are "selfish," which as you might suspect, got me a little riled up (it's really hard to get riled up about feminist issues, however, when you have the vocabulary and speaking capacity of a 5 year old. I think I went with the ever-powerful and persuasive "nuh-uh!" response). Auntieji clarified that he meant "girls say one thing and do another thing" while "boys do what they say." I think that what they were trying to say, and I agree, is that it's easier to live with boys in the sense that if there is a problem, you don't have to be delicate and dance around the topic. You can say to a boy, "knock that shit off" and they won't get upset (although they probably won't knock that shit off, either). Girls, however, even though they tend to be cleaner, seem to be more sensitive to issues, although I suspect they might be more accommodating in the end. I then tried to point out, in broken Hindi, that this is a matter of socialization (roughly translated as: "but the social community says, 'girls, it is necessary that you act this way'), but I suspect the nuance was lost. We all finally agreed, however, that I act more like a boy than like a girl. Nice. Discuss amongst yourselves...
I did try to find other opinions about this for you to waste your time with, but was largely unsuccessful. For example, when I googled "how to live with girls," I mostly got advertisements for "Naked Girls! Live Web Cam!" Consider that a helpful hint, but not one I'm going to follow through with for you...
5. Researched song lyrics
I've always loved the song "Uelqu'un M'a Dit" by Carla Bruni (yep...that Carla Bruni) on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack. I've even gone so far as to daydream about it being the song to which I walk down the aisle because it sounds so beautiful. Today, I finally looked up the lyrics and now I know for sure that it will be in my wedding. How can it not be with opening lyrics like this:
I’m told that our lives aren’t worth much,
They pass like an instant, like wilting roses.
I’m told that time slipping by is a bastard
Making its coat of our sorrows.
Yet someone told me…
p.s....I took this translation from someone else. I don't know French.
5. Was reminded of this hilarious video
Here's the link, because I don't think it embedded correctly... Something else to work on...
7. Hung out with an old friend:
p.s...most of these pictures are from vacation a few weeks ago. I don't actually spend that much time having that much fun...
Not So Wasted:
1. Discovered "Google Scolar" in JSTOR.
How am I just now discovering this?!? If you haven't seen or used it yet (and actually know/care what JSTOR is), do so right now. It's amazing.
Wasted Activities
1. Read an email from my mom...
...with an excel version of a details for my 6 days following my arrival home. I like to think she's just that excited, but I suspect she's just that bored. Could it be genetic? (this is much funnier if you actually know my mother)
2. Researched for my first meal when I get home
I then sent my mom a response explaining that I want to eat here for my first meal. I tried to eat here for my final meal before I left, but I was told that they "don't do take-out." I briefly contemplated sitting at a table, ordering the pizzas, taking one bite and then asking for a "to-go box," but that seemed like more effort than it was worth. But there are a few things to mention here.
a. I sent my mom that link, knowing she would love that she could click on it and see what I was talking about. Oh god, I am my mother...
b....because I love, love, LOVE researching restaurants in which I will never have the opportunity/money to eat. For example, I will look at all of these menus, tho I am not likely to ever eat any of these burgers. This is especially easily done when watching The Hills or The City (in reruns now, I guess) because they always post the name of the restaurant where they're eating and, let's be honest, if you divert your attention from the show long enough to scour a restaurant website, you're still not going to miss much in the show.
c. If you ever do live abroad for an extended period of time in a non-Western country, do yourself a favor and avoid conversations about foods from home. This is merely a slow form of torture
--after having written part c. above, at lunch today, Tareq mentioned Rice Krispie treats and Christian quickly put an end to that conversation.
3. Realized how tired I am
I read this headline and thought that it said "Abu Graib" and not "Abu Dhabi." You can imagine my shock (although then I actually began to commend them for taking advantage of a capitalist market...).
4. Had a good conversation with Auntie and Uncleji
Who is easier to live with: boys or girls? Uncleji explained that girls are "selfish," which as you might suspect, got me a little riled up (it's really hard to get riled up about feminist issues, however, when you have the vocabulary and speaking capacity of a 5 year old. I think I went with the ever-powerful and persuasive "nuh-uh!" response). Auntieji clarified that he meant "girls say one thing and do another thing" while "boys do what they say." I think that what they were trying to say, and I agree, is that it's easier to live with boys in the sense that if there is a problem, you don't have to be delicate and dance around the topic. You can say to a boy, "knock that shit off" and they won't get upset (although they probably won't knock that shit off, either). Girls, however, even though they tend to be cleaner, seem to be more sensitive to issues, although I suspect they might be more accommodating in the end. I then tried to point out, in broken Hindi, that this is a matter of socialization (roughly translated as: "but the social community says, 'girls, it is necessary that you act this way'), but I suspect the nuance was lost. We all finally agreed, however, that I act more like a boy than like a girl. Nice. Discuss amongst yourselves...
I did try to find other opinions about this for you to waste your time with, but was largely unsuccessful. For example, when I googled "how to live with girls," I mostly got advertisements for "Naked Girls! Live Web Cam!" Consider that a helpful hint, but not one I'm going to follow through with for you...
5. Researched song lyrics
I've always loved the song "Uelqu'un M'a Dit" by Carla Bruni (yep...that Carla Bruni) on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack. I've even gone so far as to daydream about it being the song to which I walk down the aisle because it sounds so beautiful. Today, I finally looked up the lyrics and now I know for sure that it will be in my wedding. How can it not be with opening lyrics like this:
I’m told that our lives aren’t worth much,
They pass like an instant, like wilting roses.
I’m told that time slipping by is a bastard
Making its coat of our sorrows.
Yet someone told me…
p.s....I took this translation from someone else. I don't know French.
5. Was reminded of this hilarious video
Here's the link, because I don't think it embedded correctly... Something else to work on...
7. Hung out with an old friend:
p.s...most of these pictures are from vacation a few weeks ago. I don't actually spend that much time having that much fun...
Not So Wasted:
1. Discovered "Google Scolar" in JSTOR.
How am I just now discovering this?!? If you haven't seen or used it yet (and actually know/care what JSTOR is), do so right now. It's amazing.
Quote of the Day:
Me: (happy clapping) Oooooooooooh....it could be possible if Greg turns black and straight!
Greg: Well, the black part won't be that difficult...

2 comments:
I am a regular reader but I do ask myself, "Am I reading this stuff just because she's my daughter?" Anonymous
There's Google Scholar in JSTOR?? I'm torn between being incredibly psyched at having such a great tool IN JSTOR and disappointed that JSTOR could sell out like that. Can't they figure out their own awesome search engine to use?? But - thanks for the info!!
Post a Comment