Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pick an addiction that's easy to treat, So we can laugh about it later

So, as you might have seen, I figured out how to add that "read more" button (although I've altered it to suit my own self-deprecating needs). I'm thinking that I might actually try to redesign the blog a bit to ensure that you, my dear reader, can be confident that you want to continue to waste your time wasting your time on a particular subject. P.S...I remain mildly embarrassed at how much I enjoy researching code to fix my problems.

For example: 
1. Among today's wasted activities, I learned how to guarantee that I get photographed during fashion week...because, you know, I'm always at fashion week trying to get photographed (what are YOU doing during fashion week?). That is actually a pretty funny column (I do admit a weakness for sarcastic bloggers), but  it lacks examples. To correct for this, I'd like to offer my own suggestions. Pictures after the jump: (see how I did that?!?)




While this first picture might work, because I'm wearing a bright shirt with an interesting cut and big sunglasses (not to mention the huge ass water gun)...
















I really think this second one, however,with the mismatched "patterns" and brighter sunglasses (not to mention the huge ass water gun), would be even more likely to command attention...













Hope this helps.

Other Wasted Activities:

1. Contemplated doing laundry
I spent a lot of time this morning thinking about doing laundry, which, as you may already know from a previous post, I find to be an incredibly wasteful and demanding activity. I definitely could have gotten all of my laundry done in the time that I spent merely thinking about it...

2. Read some 3 minute fiction
I could waste all day reading these

3. Read the Style Section of the NYTimes

4. Downloaded the score to The Social Network.
It's actually really good and there is an interesting interview with Trent Reznor here.

5. Listened to some SXSW coverage.
There are a lot of free shows here. I strongly recommend The Joy Formidable (and get their new album too if you don't have it).

6. Read the Travel section of the NYTimes.
It's all about Asia, and I'm surprised that I'm not already sick of thinking, reading, talking about and living in Asia, but there are a lot of articles here with which to waste your time. How many of the 37 "Odysseys" have you actually seen (and how imperialist is the word "odyssey" in this context?)? My count is 7. Even if you have never been to Asia, you could read some of these and daydream about going (or coming to visit me!).

On that note, I should say that the majority of my time is wasted in daydreams. Part of the reason that I started this blog was to curb my insatiable desire to daydream and, instead, live in the wasted moment. While most people daydream, I have never met anyone else who does it quite like I do. There are only a few choice people to whom I have admitted the extent to which my daydreams are freakishly detailed and upon further research I discovered that it could be because I'm smart! Or it could be because I'm sad.

Or, much to my dismay, it could be because I have an actual disorder and am in need of medical attention...

7. Listened to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Some highlights for you.
a. This is a joke, right?!?
b. I want to go to there... I should say that, in addition to daydreaming, I have a severe addiction to peanuts/peanut butter. I have roommates who can attest to how proud I am when I can make a jar of peanut butter last more than 3 days. I believe it is best when eaten directly off of a spoon (or a finger...whichever is more handy). (Ha...handy...that was unintentionally punny)
c. A great (or potentially terrible) gift for the man in your life. I am interested in the "stripper" scent....
d. They asked this week's guest, folk-singer Judy Collins, if she has any guilty music pleasures. I think that this is a GREAT question to ask your friends and family or to  annoying acquaintances for whom you need an excuse to mercilessly mock them until they go away. Mine would include Cher (altho I don't feel that guilty about that one) and The Counting Crows, among others (I'll get past the letter "C" one of these days).
e. Oh, if only I had as much money to waste as I do time. I really wish this woman's name was Jane so I could call her an ignorant slut. (For my younger readers who didn't get that reference, watch and learn. SNL used to be good)
f. Just some light reading for the ladies...and men who want to keep their girlfriends/wives in check
g. What an unfortunate name.
h. Really? Sperm whales name their babies? (Also, I'm realizing that Wait Wait must do a lot of research on Wired blogs)
i. Ummmmmm....ok..... Although I have to admit, the question, "Where would you keep YOUR monkey?!?" is an interesting one.

8. Watched babies laughing
Seriously. You want to do this. First there is this kid. He's pretty good, but there is also my niece, who really gets rolling after about 45 seconds (I also love my brother laughing behind the camera...).


Not So Wasted Activities:


Again, I really don't have anything for this. Maybe tomorrow...

Quotes of the Day:
I'm actually looking into creating an entirely separate section for this. Nobody really said anything funny today, but there was the quintessential Jenn line the other night:

Christian: (defending his Apples to Apples card) It's a double entendre!
Me: (to Greg) I don't think he knows what "double entendre" means...




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.