Today's Wasted Activities:
1. Questioning the origin of pink for girls and blue for boys
Last night, we somehow ended up discussing why pink is chosen for girls and blue for boys (perhaps because I have a new niece scheduled to arrive in 4 months!). Turns out it's the same in Poland, but when I asked my Auntiji about such customs in India, she just laughed as though it was the silliest thing she had ever heard (although not nearly as silly as the idea that in America we have one water heater for an entire house/apt. complex and that it's located in the basement. "The BASEMENT?!?" she giggled in disbelief). It got me thinking and gave me some research to waste time on.
Could it really be evolutionary?
There is a lot more out there about this (although it seems to be a more prevalent discussion the UK than the US), so I'll let you waste your own time browsing all of the sites. I will conclude by noting that I was going to add a snide remark about how I won't be buying my new niece anything in pink so as to resist gendered stereotypes....but then I saw my reflection in my computer screen and realized I'm wearing a bright pink kurta. Sigh...
2. Barbara Danes:
I love this interview. She sounds so amazing (and, I have to admit, I hope then when I'm 83, I'm still talking like she does at 3:33) .
3. Cats vs. Dogs March Madness:
Think about what I wrote yesterday regarding this debate. Hopefully, you have already wasted time discussing this important matter with your friends. Now, it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Vote here:
4. One of my absolute favorite places to waste time...although it is now moving and changing. Read the archives and check out the new site: www.fartparty.org
5. Went to the gym. Ran to All Songs' "Listeners Pick The Best Albums of 2010." Daydreamed about decorating my dream apartment. A very enjoyable way to kill 1.5 hours.
6. Waited in line for the ATM
Seriously, people...you have to press, like, six buttons. Must it take you 10 minutes?!? And do you really need 18 of your closest friends in there to help you out?!? Give me your ****ing card...I can probably figure out your g***amn pin code and clear your account in the time that it has taken you to decide if you want to pull out of your "current" or "savings" account...
Not so wasted:
1. Booked a flight
My friend Wendy is coming to India for six weeks to teach for the Emory-Tibet Partnership in Dharmashala. http://tibet.emory.edu/about/index.html It will be her first trip to India and she's going to meet me in Udaipur for a few days before we tear it up during my last weekend in Delhi. Oh May 20th, you can not get here soon enough...
2. Streamed the new The Strokes album (while doing homework and, hence, not such a wasted activity).http://new.thestrokes.com/featured/listen-to-angles-here
Ok...I like The Strokes as much as the next guy, but I've always maintained that they have basically written one song and somehow made an entire career out of it. While it is a wonderful song, it seems to me that there is really no need to own more than one album (I think the same thing about Franz Ferdinand and Vampire Weekend...although, to be fair, I once heard someone point out that Johnny Cash made an incredible career within one octave and should really be lauded for it, so...). I still haven't gotten through the entire album (shoddy internet connection and all), but I'm still kind of torn. My musical guru, Bob Boilen, seems to think it is a return to 10 years ago http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/03/14/134549612/strokes-streaming-new-album-did-the-last-ten-years-even-happen, but I'm still not convinced I hear much of a difference (I do, however, love the 80'sish beginning to "Two Kinds of Happiness").
P.s...if you have any comments about this, add them to Bob's page (yes, I call him by his first name, as if we're close, personal friends) because it will be evaluated by a much more knowledgeable audience in that forum.
Also, I think I just noticed for the first time the etymological relationship between lauded and applauded. Hmmmmm...
3. Surprised a roadside fruitseller with my limited knowledge of Hindi.
4. Made the last minute decision to go out to dinner with friends.
While I would never categorize this as a "waste" of time, tonight was unique insofar as I didn't have time to go home to get ready, meaning that my circumstances called upon the incredible generosity of friends to loan me towels, clothes, etc. It was especially "not so wasted," then, because it reminded me that as much as I sometimes loathe being here, I am blessed to be surrounded by wonderful, kind and gracious people.
Quote of the Day: (I'm going to start throwing in old favorites for posterity's sake)
(Also, it is crucial to read this a Borat accent, even though she is polish and, in reality, sounds nothing like Borat)
No comments:
Post a Comment