Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kissed a few with sticky shoes, our cartoon show is broke...

Oh, you don't even want to know how I wasted time today... (unless, of course, you do...in which case you can proceed to what follows after the jump...)


I stumbled upon this website, which lists 9 words that don't mean what you think they do. I will admit that I was wrong on three of them, all of which I quickly typed into my gmail search option to see if I had ever used them incorrectly (and no, one of them was not "irregardless" and you can judge for yourself based on a previous post if I do or do not understand the use of "ironic").

I was happy to see that I had only misused one of the words in a chat with an ex-boyfriend, although it easily could have been a correct usage (only I know the truth) and I'm pretty sure he didn't catch on.

I did use a second word incorrectly, but it was in a draft to another ex-boyfriend and, thankfully, was never sent (I say "thankfully" because he's kind of a word nerd and no doubt would have caught my mistake and shared it with his equally word nerdy new girlfriend and lord only knows the deep, deep shame I would have felt just now imagining them cuddled up in their matching red, velvet robes in front of the fireplace, sipping expensive foreign brandy, and laughing haughtily at my ignorance. How bemusing (irony?)).

Anyway, there's a simple tip for how you can waste your time and test the accuracy of your own vocabulary (or lack thereof...).

You're welcome.



 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: