Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Overflow, Shake a fist, Howling at, The emptiness

In an unexpected turn of events, I actually LOVE this poster found in a bathroom in the library...









Ok, let's take it from the top:

First of all, THREE exclamation points!!! Wow!!! Now THAT is enthusiasm!!! Although I would have recommended using all CAPS, you still have my attention. Your thesis statement is clear and concise. You really need Programmers!!!. Got it. Well done...

Now, this picture. I suspect it is intended to be hyperbolic, but I'm not gonna lie to you...I happen to know a guy who is really into computers...and he also happens to be really into bow ties. Coincidence? I think not. I think this is exactly the guy they are actually looking for (and also a wise use of imagery by which they can essentially call for Geeks!!!).

Moving on. I like that the first skills demanded of said Programmers!!! are "hacking/coding." I appreciate the implied relationship between "hacking" and "coding," such that they are but merely two sides of the same coin.  Like any other "and/or" combination, doing one may necessarily require doing the other. That is, you might be writing code, but you also might just be hacking (and we'll call it "coding" for legal reasons). Alternatively, perhaps this is an attempt to set up a dichotomy whereby hacking is to coding as mind/body, heaven/earth, male/female (at least in a modernist, Christian, sexist society (sorry if that description got redundant)). While I'm not usually a fan of such (false) dichotomies, here I appreciate we find "hacking" in the place usually reserved for the category considered to be superior. In other words, "hacking" is clearly preferred to "coding." Atta boys! (And yes, I assume they're boys....why not? We live in a modernist, Christian, sexist society!)

Next! We find another such dichotomy that places problem-solving over troubleshooting, which suggests that the Programmers!!! should ideally know how to solve a problem before they have even figured out what the problem actually is. That's called initiative...and it makes for good hacking (and spouses).

Although, I am confused about why said Programmers!!! will only need to translate (one) idea into beta product/service (Actually, I'm also confused about the general use of backslashes in this poster, but whatever). It seems to me that this is an explicit statement that will be no room for innovation/creativity in this job because the Programmers!!! will be expected to succumb to the singularly creative wills of their bosses (I'm just imagining shouts of, "No! You translate idea into beta like I say!"...although, I didn't read/hear that in a North Korean accent, you racist). I appreciate the honesty here. And their commitment to efficiency.

Props to the gender-neutral language of "person" (although I thought you needed Programmer(s)!!! in the plural). Geek picture aside, it appears they are not limiting their potential candidates to only males (in fact, I get the sense that the creator of this poster could use a girl or two around for a change...).

Mostly, however, what I like about this poster is that these guys clearly mean business. Mostly hacking business, though....not so much proper English or graphic design business. (Are you bothered about pesky little things like grammar, punctuation, or Capitalization? Then, We don't need you because that shit don't matter in C++!(!!))

Besides, they're offering fifteen hundred fucking dollars. I mean, given the absurd number of BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus(es?) in the student parking lot, I probably shouldn't be surprised. But, I will say this...I am damn intrigued...and not so secretly wishing that I had had the foresight and lack of social skills in high school that would have led me to a career in computer programming, because I really do want to know what you're up to Mr. Democratica.co...



 Subscribe in a reader

2 comments:

Rufus Sewell said...

Everything about this post -- from the content right down to the writing style -- constitutes cause for concern. This is very clearly some kind of a cry for help.

jenn said...

Rufus, this whole blog is a cry for help. Are you really just now figuring this out?!?